ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 15:38:06 -0400
Ed,
    I think one of the reasons FANBOY connectives often start sentences is
that conjunctions like "but" and "so" don't always simply connect two
clauses, but often signal a shift in meaning that can follow several
sentences and/or begin many more.
   "She was always friendly. She always smiled. No one could fault her
everyday politeness. But something about her seemed cold." The "but in
a sequence like that marks a shift in thinking rather than a connection
to the previous clause.
   This is not just a hypothetical example. It happens very, very often in
the best writing.
   Students come to college thinking they know a few things about grammar,
and one of them is that "You shouldn't start a sentence with...." and
that list includes "and", "but", "because", sometimes suprising things
like "I." I don't see any reason for the rule. I would go even
further--it is a foolish rule and foolish advice.
   I don't believe a single finite clause that starts with "for" is a
fragment in traditional grammar. A single clause that starts with
"because" would be. The details would differ, but Zwicky's overall
point, that the two are not the same, is backed up.

Craig

I agree that it's not a problem for Zwicky's description (which,