ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:13:39 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/2001 2:55:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:<<  It is inthe K-12 (or, perhaps, 5-12) grades that help is needed.
From what I have seen of various series displayed at NCTE, traditional
grammar still reigns, with its emphasis on error avoidance and error
correction. >>

Martha,

You have hit the nail on the head.  I would beg of you all to ignore Texas
and traditional publishers. If necessary, follow Ed Vavra's lead and put up a
website.  But realize those of us in middle school who are reading the
research and avoiding the drill and kill of the past are risking our jobs to
stay true to your/our principles.

The perennial problem remains, if not traditional grammar in school, then
what?  What do I say to my parents who tell me that I should be teaching
traditional parts of speech because it "worked for them"? I have two new
teachers in my department this year (total dept is three!) who are open to
new methods.  Grammar (and spelling!) are the big issues in any English
departments.  My new teachers are primed to teach grammar and spelling in
context, but I have no texts to show them how.  Everything is aimed at
college and hs.

This is the plea that I started with last year.  What resources do you have
for me?  For my teachers?  What should we be doing in 6-8th grade?  Nothing
infuriates me more than hs or college teachers railing about lower level
teachers not doing their job in teaching grammar when I can't get any help in
what I should be doing to support you.  (Please don't take this personally -
the teachers on this list serve are our most ardent supporters, but most
instructors are much less invested in helping us at the lower levels.)

We're willing.  But where (outside of Ed's site - I can't get a schoolwide
buy-in) do I start?  Linguistics should be fun.  Language is fun.  Why can't
anyone communicate this on a middle school level?

I am torn between those who think that an educated person should be able to
talk about language and those who say we only need to learn to use it.  Is
there no middle ground?

Help!
~Gretchen in San Jose