ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:23:46 -0400
Michael is absolutely right that the combination of teacher enthusiasm for
and secure grasp of the material are priceless commodities for teaching.
There is, however, a big difference between teaching in college and teaching
in secondary or elementary school. A college course has a short class time
(2-3 hours per week) and a clear through line to the end -- 15-16 weeks and
the semester is over -- whereas a high school English class meets, typically
40-50 minutes a day, 5 times a week, for forty weeks (unless on "Block
Scheduling"). Add to these schedule differences the notion that pre-college
students are "captives" who are not paying (or borrowing) money to attend
classes, most of whom would rather be somewhere -- anywhere -- else, and you
have a very different situation.

Entertainment in these classes almost seems necessary sometimes. If we can
add humor, games, etc. to our enthusiasm and secure grasps, we're virtually
required to do so. In our methods classes, we are often told that we need to
use a variety of techniques to teach. Games and humor add very useful tools
to the teacher's toolbox.

Paul E. Doniger