ATEG Archives

February 2005

From:
"Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:48:13 -0700
Michael,

In my grammar I take it as a non-restrictive adverbial (of place)
modification to Laodicea.  Without ellipsis the noun phrase would read:
"Laodicea, (which is) about eleven miles (far) away (from it)."  This makes
_from_ (relation) the head, with the adverb (direction) _away_ modifying it,
which in turn has the adverb (distance) _far_ modifying it, which in turn
has the adverbial noun (extent) _miles_ modifying it, and then the adverbial
noun (number) _eleven_ modifying _miles_ (many varieties of adverbs!).
However, the idiom _away from_ seems to be moving in the direction of a
prepositional phrase modifying _away_.  If you can't live with ellipsis,
then perhaps you will have to have some of these basic syntactic functions
taken over by the parts that do appear. Maybe _miles_ would then take over
as the head with _away_ modifying it, or prossibly better vice versa.  They
are both adverbial with very similar meaning, one being simply more specific
than the other.

I hope this helps.

Bruce