ATEG Archives

November 2011

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:31:56 +0000
A word about British-English use of 'like'.  Over here it has now become
almost universal in everyday (and BBC) speech to use 'like' as a
subordinating conjunction instead of 'as' in abverbial clauses of
comparison:

He responded like his brother did.
They were slow off the mark like they had been before.

Bill's 'pretty darn truish' comment strikes me as on target.  By my own
argument about the origin of language,

(on the web -- see http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/ap1401/  )

the updating of another by means of a sentence requires initially a mutual
taking-up of the attitude of a proposed (though unconfirmed) basic agreement
on a hypothetically-'common' referent.  Even for enemies there has to be
this performance of an assumption of trust in 'the' referent.  A common
example is that the frequent repetition of ŒYou know¹ is the course of a
speech, as if to say 'You already agree with what I am going to say.'  There
is a kind of subtext:  'You have not expressed this agreement, but it is one
that, if you examined your own thoughts, you would see that you have
accepted in the past.'  What is really shows, of course, is the speaker¹s
inner uncertainty about the possible agreement of his audience or about his
or her place in the group.

It is very common in peer-group- and gang-talk for this very reason, also
betraying a more general uneasiness about fitting into the world.  That Tony
Blair as our prime minister was much given to using this tag is a sign, not
of cheerful camaraderie, but of suspicion of the audience.  ŒBasically¹ is
another tag that has become common for the same reason, although how it
became so is puzzling;  it implies that the foundation of Speaker¹s and
Hearer¹s attitudes are identical, thus beyond hostility.  One can add the
tag ŒSee¹, as in ŒThe boat set off, see¹:  if this is expressed in the tone
of a command, it enforces the acceptance of a transformation of reference
which it at least acknowledges the possibility;  if this has the tone of a
question, it brings the dual nature of dialogue into the open, and is thus a
better habit of speech.  The same may be said of Œlike¹, as in ŒWe was goin¹
out o¹ the pub, like, and there was this chav, like, waitin¹ outside in the
rain.¹  The implication is that a circumstance like this one is familiar to
the Hearer, as if it fell without question from either Speaker or Hearer
into a classification already settled between them.

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road