ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:00:24 -0400
Janet,
    My observation has been that these students use comma splices when the two clauses are roughly saying the same thing, as in "My father was a generous man, he would give even when he couldn't afford to." The semi-colon often fits nicely in those slots. The good news about that is that you can praise the sentences (much of the time) and offer the semi-colon. You don't have to pounce on it as error.
   One reason for this failure in recognition is that they have been told that "A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought," but not that two independent clauses linked by just a comma constitute a comma splice. To be taught the latter necessitates actual attention to language: not only to what a clause is, but to what constitutes syntactic independence. The "complete thought" formulation is an attempt to circumvent the need for a deeper look. It has consequences.

Craig