ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:40:10 -0700
I agree with Bill Spruiell here--the complement (that) clause is an
example of the mandative subjunctive.  It's surprising how rarely I
get to use the term "mandative subjunctive" in ordinary conversation.

Some kinds of subjunctive (the contrary-to-fact subjunctives) are
marked for tense

If I were you, I'd get that tax form in the mail tomorrow. (present)
versus
If I had been you, I would have put that tax form in the mail in time.

but I think that the mandative subjunctive lost any trace of an
inflected past tense quite some time ago.

Last year, we recommended that you put your tax form in the mail in
March.