ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:14:40 -0400
Interesting question, David.  Here's how I got into it, in the very
late 1960s.
I was teaching English as a full-time, long-term substitute at a
public school for gifted boys, and my students often asked me
questions I could not answer.  I would tell them I would try to find
the answer, and then I would ask my fellow department members.  Nearly
always, they did not know the answer either.  (The chair would have
known, but nobody talked to him.)
This was a time when some people feel English teachers "knew their
grammar."  But these guys' knowledge was as thin as a toothpick.  I
use "guys" because they were all male; no females allowed on staff at
that time at that school.
No former teacher below college level ever instilled my interest in
studying grammar, quite the contrary.
So I started studying linguistics on my own (at first) then in
graduate school.

EdS