ATEG Archives

November 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:46:50 -0500
------------------
At 13:22 25-11-97 -0500, you wrote:
>This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the
>ATEG
>list at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU.
>
>Hello everyone:
>This message  was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the ATEG
list at
MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU

>Could I have your opinions on a question of usage?
>
>I'm (still) translating a book on women in Mexico. At one point the author
>says that historiography has been traditionally considered
"intrinsicamente
>masculina." I translated this as "instrincically male." The author, who,
by
>her own admission, does not speak perfect English, told me that "male"
>sounds to her like "macho," and that she prefers "masculine." The latter
>sounds way off to me--it sounds like "having manly qualities" more than
>"pertaining to men."
>
>Any comments or suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alan Hynds

Hello Alan,
what about using : "male-oriented" ? This solution was also suggested by my
wife Elda, who is a Mexican and has studied American and British English...
It might however be useful to give us the context of the phrase, so we can
take that into consideration as well.
Good luck,
Willem van Bork