ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 09:24:39 -0700
My only comment is that the logic is careless.  The phrase "at the risk ..." is placed like a sentence adverb, but if it is interpreted that way, the assertion of the rest of the sentence is just backwards.  The senior would sound snotty if he never split ... etc.  My rewrite would replace the phrase with a more explicit one: "Even though seniors may risk sounding snotty, they should never split an infinitive nor dangle a participle."  Notice the snotty "nor" as well.  The rule might be to the effect that a formal style requires a careful and explicit connecting of adverbials in as logical a way as practical, at the risk of sounding snotty.