ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:22:33 -0600
At 01:47 PM 1/30/2008, Karl Hagen wrote:
>So do you restrict the application of "dilapidated" only to stone
>structures? Do you believe that "nice" _really_ means "ignorant"? Or
>that a "gossip" is actually a godparent?
>That line of thinking is generally known as the etymological fallacy for
>good reason.

DD: Well most of the structures referred to as dilapidated, either
don't have stone, or what there is, is falling out, I have no
problems there. As I said, I understand what is meant in the
transmission, which is all that is required from Information Theory.
i.e. The message got through to the receiver, more or less without
garble. I like word folly, and I said I fall into it, often.  In some
dialects of English the Old English "godsibb" as gossip, still means
god parent. Still, most of the godparents I know do chatter about
others. On nescius, -a, -um, you have me pegged to the wall. I still
use it as "wanton" rather than unaware. If you are a male, surely you
remember the reply to the old question, "What is the definition of a
nice girl?" I am fond of fools, too. Like Parcifal. I rather like the
term, "etymological fallacy" since fallicia has as one of its
meanings, "trick," so we have basically, "true word tricks," a
delightful logical concept. I thank you all for introducing me to the
term. I almost repent of my folly, going forth to bear the banner of
Shannon and Georgescu Roegan and the Honor of Bell Labs.