ATEG Archives

October 2009

From:
Brett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:47:40 -0400
On 2009-10-29, at 5:43 PM, Assembly for the Teaching of English
Grammar wrote:

> In the sentence I am going to eat that banana, is to eat an
> infinitive?

Imperative and subjunctive clauses aside, the verb to the far left is
tensed (present or past tense). Simply speaking, all verbs that follow
it are either participles (past or present) or infinitives (to- or
bare).

> I want to say no, because going to is the equivalent of the modal
> will.

I don't think they're entirely equivalent, but 'will' and the other
modals are followed by bare infinitives, so make of that what you will.

>  Would going to be an auxiliary in this case?

It doesn't have the NICE properties of auxiliary verbs (negation,
inversion, code, emphasis). I think most grammars would say that
'be' ("I AM going to eat...") is the auxiliary verb.

Best,
Brett

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada