ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:51:03 -0700
Taking a walk in the park John saw mary

is an elipsis of

While he was taking a walk in the park John saw Mary

This is called a participial phrase in most books.  Some call it a reduced adverb clause which is particularly helpful given its origin.  It also parallels reduced adjective clauses (also called participial phrases)

the boy, being too fast to live young to die, resembled James Dean.  Being is derived from "who was" by regular processes.

Calling either a tensed verb would be incorrect.  Pointing out their origin in full clauses is very helpful.

Phil Bralich