ATEG Archives

September 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:48:25 -0500
Max,

I appreciate your detailed response to my question.  I am wondering if I
could draw you out a little bit more on the issues that you raise.  First,
forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure what a T-unit is, how it is
defined.  Could you enlighten me?  In the same vein, you say that
Kelly Hunt discovered that "no one could define a sentence successfully."
Did he make this argument in a book or article that I could consult?

More generally, I was left wondering whether you felt that one could
produce counterexamples to the Aristotelian definition that I want to
propose, i.e., non-sentences that lend themselves to true or false
judgments or sentences whose format could not be used to produce true or
false propositions.  You include a number of what I would call elliptical
sentences as afterthoughts in your message.  "Though good writers do that
(punctuate stretches of discourses without subjects and finite verbs as
sentences) all the time.  All the time.  And not just to answer
questions."  In all of these cases, it seems clear to me that a subject
and main finite verb may be readily inferred from your context to complete
the thought of what might otherwise seem to be "sentence fragments."  No
one would consider "all the time" a correctly formed sentence in the
absence of such a context, would they?  Anyway, are these the kinds of
stretches of discourse that have persuaded you that the sentence cannot be
defined?

This all seems important to me because, frankly, I don't see the point of
grammar that is not anchored in some "notion."  Otherwise, don't
grammatical rules just constitute a huge circular argument?  T-units
consist of "subjects" and "finite verbs," whose importance is derived from
the fact that they are the indispensable elements of T-units.  My students
would like to know what it all adds up to in non-grammatical terms.

Regards,
David