ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:08:28 -0500
The forthcoming details about the next conference have come forth.

Brock

The Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
An Assembly of the National Council of Teachers of English
Presents

The 2002 Mini-Course and Conference
on
Grammar and Meaning

Join us this summer in New York's beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley

Minicourse: Wednesday and Thursday, July 10 and 11 in Yorktown, New York
(1 Graduate Credit from Park University; 15 inservice credit hours)

Annual Conference: Friday and Saturday, July 12 and 13 in Fishkill, New York

Keynote Address by Rei Noguchi
Author of Grammar and the Teaching of Writing: Limits and Possibilities

Our minicourse is for teachers at elementary, middle, high school, and
college levels who would like to learn how to integrate grammar instruction
with reading, writing, speaking, and understanding other languges. Whether
your knowledge of grammar is "advanced" or "entry level," you will come away
with useful information and pedagogy about how the English language works.

Our conference welcomes papers on a wide variety of topics: What do we mean
by Standard English? How do we teach about dialect to a diverse population?
What are effective methods of teaching English to non-native speakers? What
are some ways to connect grammar instruction to literature? How is the
language changing?
What is the relationship between grammar and meaning in text and speech?
What kinds of "grammars" are there? How can the teaching of grammar be made
interesting?  (We welcome conference proposals.   Proposals of no more than
one page in length should be sent by June 1 to Amy Benjamin, c/o Hendrick
Hudson High School, 2 Albany Post Road, Montrose, NY 10548.)

Because the ATEG Conference is small, you can expect to be personally
welcomed by our board and members. You can expect your questions to be
answered, your concerns addressed, your participation valued. No matter what
your experience, if you are interested in grammar, you can expect to fit
right in with ATEG.

For further information, contact Amy Benjamin, 2002 Conference Chair:
e-mail: [log in to unmask]; phone: (845) 896-6474.