ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:24:55 -0400
So what does it modify?

Martha (if you're out there reading this morning), if this sentence were in
your textbook, where would you put the infinitive on a traditional R&K
diagram--under "drunk" or under "too"?

It seems to be modifying "too" moreso than "drunk" to me: How drunk? "Too"
drunk. To what extent? Too drunk to drive.   Doesn't it intensify or clarify
"too"?

Incidentally, this is a good example of a situation in which my ability to
diagram sentences helps me to think through the relationship of words and
phrases in a sentence and, in turn, enables me to write more clearly and
more precisely. I could go through the same thought process without the
diagram (and I often do), but diagramming taught me to be very specific:
does "to drive" modify "drunk" or "too"? Perhaps that is a hairsplitting
question, but I think I have become a much stronger writer--and
thinker--over the years as a result of analyzing sentences in this way. Most
of my students feel the same way.

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706