ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:55:09 -0400
Peter,
   One thought for next year's conference, which is once again in
Fairfield and once again in conjunction with the Connecticut Writing
Project, is that we would enhance the writing project connection and
try to address those "what can we do in the classroom" type issues. You
should think about writing up your own best advice on dealing with
these troubling demands. It reads as though you have given it much
thought and are working out an approach that doesn't ignore the
realities we face on the front lines.
   We have to be a little careful because minimalist approaches now have
the floor. Sometimes we are forced into them, but we don't want to fall
into the trap of saying this is the best way. I think we can do both;
advocate a robust scope and sequence and deal with "in the meantime"
contingencies as a different kind of challenge.
   As a matter of fact, as Bill points out, we may be being asked to do
the impossible. We can argue for Scope and Sequence as the only true
solution.

Craig