ATEG Archives

November 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:22:30 -0500
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the
ATEG
list at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU.

Hello everyone:

Could I have your opinions on a question of usage?

I'm (still) translating a book on women in Mexico. At one point the author
says that historiography has been traditionally considered "intrinsicamente
masculina." I translated this as "instrincically male." The author, who, by
her own admission, does not speak perfect English, told me that "male"
sounds to her like "macho," and that she prefers "masculine." The latter
sounds way off to me--it sounds like "having manly qualities" more than
"pertaining to men."

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan Hynds