ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Geoff Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:34:18 -0500
Brock - Good question, one that I've been trying to address in my class.

In fact, the event is highly suited to a discussion of grammar because it
is grammar that we use to create meaning.  Specifically, instead of the 8
parts of speech, I have the students address what we have come to call the
"six parts of meaning" - who, what, why, where, when, and how (thanks,
journalists!).  If they can answer these questions when they write, they're
good writers; if they can discern the answers when they read, they're good
readers.

The way that they answer the questions is with grammatical constructions -
primarily, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, and dependent clauses, each
building the level of specificity with which the writer answers the basic
question.

Therefore, a simplistic "They attacked the WTC." leaves out a lot of
meaning.  Who is "they" (requires an understanding of world-wide
terrorism)?  What is the WTC (as both a structure and as a symbol)?  Why
would "they" attack it (requires an understanding of the Middle East
conflict, etc.)?  Where did they attack and when did they attack it
(requires an examination of the duration of the terrorists training in the
US as well as their other attacks on the US overseas prior to this one).
How did they attack (requires understanding of the process of terrorism -
recruiting, training, etc.).

In other words, you can't understand the situation without grammar!

Geoff Layotn