ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:40:56 -0400
Nancy,

That's a very useful (and approachable!) article. I'm wondering,
however, if a clear consensus exists among editors that the
"apostropheless" version is *wrong*; a quick Google search shows that a
number of institutions use it, and while the Google sample was
top-weighted for distance-learning programs (which can be a
bit...er...unauthoritative), that's to be expected from an online
search, given the way Google ranks pages. University of Georgia and
University of Nebraska seem to use the apostropheless version in at
least some cases, and they aren't degree mills.

My old desk copy of the Random House dictionary uses the version with
the apostrophe, but _The Chicago Manual of Style_ (14th ed.) includes a
statement that would seem to give it tacit approval (p. 200):

	"Among some circles there is a penchant for omitting the
apostrophe from what are sometimes regarded as possessive
constructions. Some business establishments and factories, for example,
refer to the cafeteria for their employees 	as the 'employees
cafeteria' ...Actually, this might properly be said to constitute an
attributive rather than a 	possessive use of nouns. A noun is
functioning attributively if it performs an adjectival role in modifying
a 	following noun....As in so many other matters of style,
consistency is to be encouraged"

In short, the _Manual_ allows this kind of usage as long as one sticks
with it (despite the expectation set up by the use of "penchant" in that
quote, the section doesn't condemn the practice at all). And, of course,
there's a kind of legal argument: if the University of Nebraska gives
you a diploma that says you've earned a "Masters Degree," then that is
exactly what you've got.

There are other cases in which what was originally a possessive has been
officially reanalyzed as a classifier but has retained the final -s
(this reminds me of a conversation on the list a while back about "men's
clothing" vs. "mens clothing"). A number of years ago, the bureau in
charge of official landscape feature names in the U.S. (I *think* it's
the US Geological Survey) switched from "Pike's Peak" to "Pikes Peak."
Most people visiting the spot knew its name, but had no idea there was
anyone named Pike it was named after (after all, it's hard to credit him
with discovering it, since we have -- finally -- grown a bit nervous
about pretending that the Native American groups who lived next to
mountains and rivers for millennia never managed to notice them). On the
other hand, there's a plant whose name seems evenly split between
"Viper's Bugloss" and "Vipers Bugloss," though I doubt there are many
people who have really thought about why a viper would need some bugloss
in the first place; heaven knows what they do with the stuff.  Given
enough use, these modifiers simply become part of set expressions, and
punctuation changes can register this shift.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University