ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:42:59 -0400

RE Eduard's mention of my article --a couple of corrections:

(1) the article has been submitted to TESOL Q, but it hasn't

been accepted yet.

(2) The copy of the manuscript that I sent to Eduard and a

few others on the ATEG list was slightly different from the

copy sent to the journal, and I didn’t check it before I

sent it out.  For those who received that copy (it has a

header) there is a reference to a non-native speaker (NNS)

in the group.  I didn’t use the NNS's data, but her errors

were few, minor, and very distinct from the types produced

by the native speakers. In the submitted version I deleted a

lengthy discussion about the NNS in order to meet the length

requirements of the journal, but I missed a one-sentence

reference to the NNS, and that might be confusing to ATEG-

ers who read the paper.   I still have the NNSpeaker data if

anyone wants to discuss the differences between her minor L2

errors and the massive L1 errors of the native speakers.

 (3) The language problems of the native speaker ESL

teachers that are described in this paper are compared to

examples of L1 errors that are used as standard criteria for

language impairment (e.g., Specific Language Impairment,

etc), but these problems are very different from what is

known as semilingualism.  Semilingualism refers to non-

native speakers (e.g., ESL students, and usually identified

in elementary school settings), who have not acquired a

sufficient foundation in either the first or second

language.  The data in my paper indicate that native

speakers of English have a problem at the formal level of

L1  -the level associated with literacy (complexity of

sentences, larger vocabulary), not at the basic everyday

level.  They are definitely not semilingual.

I agree with Eduard’s point about non-native teachers of

ESL. I’ve noticed that non-native speakers who teach ESL

very often have an excellent command of the language and a

much better understanding of the grammar.  Non-native ESL

teachers are usually able to explain complex structures

(relative clauses, use of and interpretation of passive)

much better than native speaker ESL teachers (at least in my

experience in several countries.  ESL students really

appreciate this competence, especially at higher skill

levels of the language.  Most of the ESL teachers that I've

taught in TESL programs are much more interested in cultural

aspects of language (e.g., sociolinguistics).  The inability

of native speaker ESL teachers to teach the harder levels of

the language --e.g., the ability to prepare students for

academic/professional skills, the TOEFL test, etc is a real

disservice to ESL students.

Most Americans do not have to acquire the high level skills

in foreign languages that are required in the education

systems of other nations.  Perhaps for that reason many

Americans do not realize it is possible to acquire everyday

discourse skills in L2 without a lot of grammar, but higher-

level L2 skills (e.g., academic, professional use of L2) are

not possible without knowledge of the grammar.  The same is

probably true for native speakers.

I appreciate that people on the ATEG list are committed to

providing a better foundation for (native) English speakers,

even if ATEG-ers disagree about how to accomplish that task.

yvonne