ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:58:21 -0600
Yes.  Unfortunately, it is all traditional grammar instruction which has
proven to be largely unlearnable in the contemporary classroom.  The only
adjustments are a few generative transformational tree diagrams that make
the whole thing even more complex.  Grammar texts could be concise and easy
to use.  I've proven it with my own text for teacher candidates.  I'm
getting excellent retention results every semester.  We don't need a host of
terms.  We don't need complicated verb conjugation.  Just a neat little
phrase structure grammar that matches contemporary pedagogy.  A fourth grade
textbook would be just mine rephrased to meet the maturation needs of fourth
graders.  I present two important rules for teaching grammar to children:
1) never teach grammar without a real language context; and 2) never teach
grammar for more than ten minutes at a time.  That means it's always
embedded in some other discipline.  (Note:  I don't follow these rules with
college students in a grammar class.)

Jeff Glauner
Associate Professor of English
Park University, Box 1303