ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:55:17 -0400
John,
     These are extraordinarily interesting questions. I hope we can
offer different perspectives on it in a spirit of collegiality.
    In the public mind, error is grammar and grammar is error. They
often seem to think of it as a set of prescriptive rules that are only
tangentially associated with discourse (what is "appropriate") or cognition.
    Grammar can be looked at as a discreet formal system, which means a
focus on underlying (non-prescriptive) rules. Much of twentieth century
linguistics has done exactly that, dealing with grammar as separate from
the lexicon and from pragmatics and from cognition. Of course, if you
study grammar as an isolated formal system, it will be difficult to
apply that to--for example--writing. You need to devise a whole other
set of "rules" before that knowledge can be put to use.
    If we see grammar as a somewhat elitist set of prescriptive rules
(many very weak in foundation) or as a set of neutral formal rules, it's
easy to argue against including grammar in the English curriculum, as
happened in the 1960's and for decades beyond.
    For a functional linguist, though--and I don't mean to imply that
all functionalists think alike--these approaches are limited and
limiting. First of all, grammar and lexicon are not separate, but part
of a lexico-grammar cline, with the lexicon at a higher level of
delicacy. "When they use a language, people bring together their
knowledge of word behavior (lexis) with their knowledge of grammatical
patterns. These two aspects of language interact in lexico-grammatical
patterns" (Biber et. al. Longman Student Grammar).  As second
difference, functionalists would say that a language is what it is
because of what it does, and that responsiveness to task happens in and
through the grammar. For systemic functional linguists, for example,
three kinds of meaning are interwoven through the clause: we represent
the world, enact relations, and construct text in and through the
grammar. Cognitivists would certainly include cognition in the mix.
Grammar is not separate from the way we see and construct the world.
    One advantage to a functional approach--and again, there are many
ways in which that is happening--is that it is immediately applicable to
the kind of literacy we try to mentor as English teachers.
    ATEG has been and should be a big tent, allowing prescriptivists and
formalists and functionalists to bring their perspectives to the table.
    The biggest problem, as I see it, is not with each other, but with
so many English teachers that are too sure of what grammar means and too
sure that it is not particularly valuable or important. Because it has
been missing from the curriculum for so long, it's hard to hold a
thoughtful conversation.

Craig