ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
Eduard Hanganu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:55:07 -0400
Bill,

As you well know, our statements are never complete because we cannot state everything about something in a statement, and because we often lack a common background. We can express only partial truth about an issue. We would need a continuous,progressive dialogue to clarify statements and points in order to see if our perspectives differ or not.

So far, you have made some assumptions about what you call my assumptions, but how can you be sure that what I stated in my short comments is a summary of my perspective on the issue discussed? You cannot. I believe that you have understood me for the most part because of the brevity of my statements and lack of continuous, progressive dialogue in which we would confirm or disprove each other's understanding on the issue in question.

Yes, you have read me correctly when you "assumed" that I believe that communication requires a common communicative basis - lexicon, grammar, socio-cultural and political context, etc. I do not think that some dialect variation prevents communication, but I believe that too much dialectal variation could lead to - as you know - the collapse of communication because of the birth of new languages. I also believe that in most societies a command of the power and prestige dialect matters the most for all practical purposes. Have you read "Language and Social Context" edited by Per Paolo Giglioli? Somewhere in the book,if I am not mistaken, someone states that a dialect without a state is just that, while a dialect with a state is a language.

As for the "prescriptive vs. descriptive" dichotomy, well, we know that all language is prescripted during socialization, and that the contrast between the above notions could be useful only in a theoretical/didactic context. What choices did you have when you learned your English in the early childhood? None! If you were born in a poor and illiterate black family you would speak illiterate black English, or "Ebonics" (to use the politically correct term). If you were born in a poor illiterate Appalachian family you would speak the same illiterate English. We speak the language of the humans who socialized us, and it takes a lot to change that language to something else.

I mentioned Chomsky only to make the point that history repeats. Forty years ago most linguists were worshipping Chomsky and his language theories until other people came and showed that he was wrong. Most language theories are proven wrong after some time although in the beginning linguists believe that those theories are the ultimate answer to the fundamental questions about language. To accept any theory without ever questioning it is anti-scientific and shows gullability, which is not the attitude of a scientist and researcher.

Of course, again, you can pick of my statements because no matter how hard I try to make my statements complete I will never succeed to do so. I am sure that I have already left something out in this mesage, too.

Eduard