ATEG Archives

January 1997

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:55:42 -0800
Am I right in sensing a kind of disconnect on this list between some
posters and others?

We've had a discussion going on correcting grammar, and now one on
'ain't', and those concerned with 'what is correct' (Christine Gray,
Donald Hocking, Bob Yates) don't seem to be responding to those who
have responded to their messages with attempts to lay out a point of view
which urges against the notions 'correct' and 'incorrect' where dialect
differences are concerned, with arguments about whether or not the
'correct/incorrect' point of view can cause real harm.

I admit that I often adopt a 'strident' tone on this issue, and maybe
that offends some posters. I don't intend offense, of course. I am sure
that all teachers share genuine concern for the welfare of their
students, and that's why grammar teaching is such a hot button in the
first place. We all also have our individual areas of experience and
expertise, and need to share and help each other.

I also fear that the sometimes strained relations between practicing
elementary and high school teachers and college professors may be
interfering here. I have recently had several experiences in which, in
spite of the best intentions and a sincere effort (more effective, I'll
admit, than my efforts on this list) to be diplomatic were met with
presumptions about my intentions -- assumptions that, as a professor, linguist,
and Ph.D., I was only trying to assert my superiority, tell teachers
what to do, criticize them unfairly, and bring yet another dubious
airhead theory to teachers that wouldn't help them in the classroom.

I hope this isn't happening. The most important thing we do is work
together on ways to help children realize their full potential and become
responsible, good citizens.

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: [log in to unmask]      ~