ATEG Archives

October 2015

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 02:18:29 +0000
Could you consider these as being content clauses acting as a complement to a noun?  CGEL lists moment (and day) in the subsection on words that can head temporal noun phrases but that require complementation (p. 698).

This type seems to be in contrast to ones in which the “moment” is being discussed as a moment, like in this example from COCA:

In Greek theater, the epiphany is the moment when a god appears to impose order on the scene

The ones that are when-able look more relative-y.

— Bill Spruiell

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Beth Young <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 9:23 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: the moment I read this clause

Wait a minute, maybe I'm looking at it backwards. Maybe "the moment" is the adverbial noun phrase that modifies "read"?
The moment I read this clause, I began to wonder.
Which would make "The moment I read this clause" an adverbial clause in which "the moment" is also adverbial (and can be replaced with "when")
When I read this clause, I began to wonder.
However, if "the moment" is itself adverbial, it ought to be able to move around in its clause, and I don't think it can:
*I read this clause the moment, I began to wonder.
OK, back to the drawing board  **sigh**

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
Associate Professor, English

University of Central Florida