ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:57:12 -0400
Tim,
    Thanks much for once again making this important point concerning
the lack of "solid research against grammar teaching."   One key, I
think, is determining what  we mean or ought to  mean by "functional",
"contextual", and "sentence based."  If you are right, then Fish's
notion that we can understand grammar as a system of "logical
relationships" and a system of forms outside the give and  take of real
world application (content?) is wrong.  For that reason, I would take
issue with "sentence based" and replace it with "discourse based," since
so much of  the decision making that occurs at the sentence level is and
ought to be discourse sensitive. We also find that far more than
"logical relationships" (Fish's terms) are at play. In other words, Fish
inherits students who know nothing about language and tries to remedy
that in a short space. But I think it's wrong not to at least put that
to practical use in the interpretation and creation of text, if not in
his course, then in a following one. And when you do, a much richer view
of language will come out of it.

Craig