ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:10:09 -0500
Carol,
   A number of the pundits afterward thought her line "change you can
xerox" (which she got booed for) sounded insincere, that it was probably
a line someone gave her, but she didn't believe. They may or may not be
right, but they weren't talking about plagiarism, just acknowledging
that speeches are not penned by an individual candidate, but worked out
carefully through advisors and speech writers and so on. Candidates are
often "on message" precisely because the whole campaign works on these
things and tries to choreograph them. As Obama pointed out, Patrick is a
national co-chair who offered the lines to him. The lines themselves
were a fine reply to her challenge to him, that he was fine with words,
but words don't matter much. He thoughtfully pointed out examples of
words ("all men are created equal") that could never be dismissed as
"mere words." She raised the plagiarism attack, but also shifted her
criticism to acknowledge the value of words, but is now saying they are
"not enough." I think Obama is right, that plagiarism is a "silly"
objection, a distraction from the real debate. If anyone wants to
withhold support because he used those words without saying so, go
ahead. He isn't denying it. He probably will be more careful in the
future. But he certainly didn't pass off someone else's work as his own
as a scholar might or a student might. He wrote a speech, pulling in
suggested elements, as they all do.
   Every time a politician or candidate gives a speech, they are
probably using the words of many other people. It is the nature of the
beast. Either Obama is a much better speaker or is much more capable of
assembling a fine speech writing team.
   It's interesting, too, that a few people pointed out how much
Clinton's final words echoed what John Edwards said at the end of his
last debate--that whatever happens, he would be OK and that what matters
is that America will be OK. It was almost word for word. But she said it
well and it seemed very pertinent and appropriate. Should she
acknowledge Edwards? I think so, but would hardly call it plagiarism.
   To the extent that the debate is legitimate, candidates will be asked
questions that may surprise them, so they may not have rehearsed
I know I sometimes grope for words when my students ask me questions,
and they probably prefer it to a prewritten lecture. I thought he did fine.
   I also think it is fairly silly to think about "who won the debate'
or "who did damage to their opponent." In the best of all possible
worlds, candidates will put their positions side by side and let us
choose for ourselves. The ultimate test is who will bring the country in
the right direction, in harmony with our values and interests.
   What I have come to dislike about the process is that many candidate
seem to need to distort the issues to gain points. At the moment,
Hillary Clinton is behind and therefore more negative stuff has been
coming from her side. The polls say it cost her in Wisconsin, and the
tight race in Texas may mean she is losing support there as well. The
Hillary Clinton at the end of the debate seemed to rise above that, to
say it is "an honor" to be on stage with Barack Obama, and the crowd
responded very warmly. I think that's what we want, and the candidates
who take that high road should be applauded.
   Our job, I think, is to point out how dysfunctional the process has
become and how hard it might be for a candidate of conscience to
function in that environment without being pulled into it in response.
   Personally, I think Obama is running an astounding campaign, but
someone who voted for another candidate because of policy differences or
a different evaluation of how he might fare in the general election or
as President is a fellow citizen, doing what he/she should be doing,
weighing it all, I hope throwing out the pettiness, and voting their
conscience. My wife and I voted differently in the primary. Good for her.
   As teachers, our job can't be to spin it for one candidate or
another. We have a trust of our own to fulfill.

Craig