ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:51:33 -0400
Eduard,
   The idea of the scope and sequence is to advocate a single (unified)
grammar, but find ways to portion that out appropriately by grade
level. My own sense is that around 7-9th grade, students are pretty
much ready for an adult grammar. (I know I benefited enormously from a
comprehensive traditional grammar, including Reed-Kellog diagrams, in
seventh and eight grades.)
   My one sense is that students are often taught partial understandings
in the hope that they can meet the goals of high stakes tests that
focus much more on behaviour than they do on understanding. If we have
longer range goals in mind (K-12), then it's much easier to be patient
in the earlier grades. But I think it makes sense to ask "what can we
teach on third grade that will help prepare a student for a
comprehensive grammar in the later grades." Our current practice is to
have discreet goals for each grade level, but not to build (scaffold) a
complex understanding, and that's because NCTE's official position has
been that students need to avoid "errors", but that teaching an
understanding of grammar doesn't help us get there. Our approach is
almost opposite: take care of the understanding of language (grammar),
and error will be much, much easier to deal with. We also believe that
understanding of grammar is enormously useful for critical reading and
effective writing. Writing is not just speech put into written form,
but brings with it demands that need to be much more explicit. We don't
think most students are well served by hoping that it will happen.
   I suspect that we have a wider consensus on these points than is
evident in our conversations. But we have started with the notion that
traditional grammar needs to be adjusted to better describe the
language we actually find in respected texts.
   I am finding more and more instances of people teaching "linguistics"
to students in early grades. Students seem to respond quickly and
readily to exploring language. The goal should be to build a base of
understanding, and to portion that out in age appropriate ways.

Craig  >

Herb: