ATEG Archives

August 1997

From:
Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:17:46 -0400
At 03:26 PM 8/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
-----------------------
>Sender:       Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
>Poster:       NELSON <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      middle school grammar
----

Samantha,

I have been a middle school English teacher for 11 years.  I have taught
grades 7-9.  Although I include grammar and literature in my courses, the
core of my program is writing.  I have tried many different approaches to
the grammar component over the years, all of which have some merit, but
none of which is the perfect method.  As I have indicated to this group in
the past, the learning of grammar seems to be as much
(or even more)a factor of age and cognitive development as it is a factor
of good teaching methodology.

I might be more helpful to you if you could pose some specific questions
you have which address your exact research topic.  I shall wait for your
reply before launching into my diatribe on the challenge of teaching
grammar to middle school students.

Sharon Schwartz
Salisbury Middle School
Allentown,  Pennsylvania