ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 08:06:04 -0400
Direct discourse:
Cindy says, "I have lived in Nashville for ten years."

Indirect discourse:
Cindy said that she had lived in Nashville for ten years.

Under conditions of sequence of tenses, past perfect can be the past of present perfect.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University