ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 12:58:23 -0400
Maureen asks some good questions and raises some interesting food for
thought. Regarding the punctuation vs. grammar question, I would point out
that the whole notion of the comma splice (or that horrid term, run-on
sentence) is itself an error that  exists only in writing. It, therefore,
seems to me a moot point -- the question will come up regardless of how we
label it. In English Language Arts, the concepts of punctuation, mechanics,
and even usage all seem to be shoved under the grammar umbrella, for good or
ill.

I also agree that all these conventions are fallible and flexible, but that
the flexibility is often tied to time and place (as the Dickens example in
part, I think, illustrates). What is acceptable to one period and place is
not acceptable to another. As a teacher, I often point out that in learning
Standard English, we are focusing on what is acceptable NOW, even though it
may have been and may in future become unacceptable or different.

For the record, by the way, I don't think that seventh grade is too early
for students to learn about gray areas in language.

Paul E. Doniger