ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:19:07 -0400

Eduard,

Some people might use the term semilingual to refer to

monolinguals.  It is definitely more strongly associated

with the bilingual environment.  The term used by most

people who deal with the monolingual situation is “delayed

language.”  Both terms usually refer to children in a school

setting, where the L1 skills have not reached the level

necessary for the development of literacy.   In general

everyday discourse is also limited in these groups.

I do want to make clear that I would not refer to the

college students/teachers (my data) –who were all literate--

as semilingual (or “delayed L1” or whatever).   I am sure

that when those adults were children their L1 skills were

sufficient to begin literacy development on schedule and

that they were never referred for language

therapy/assistance.  However, as they went through the K12

system they were given very little instruction in formal

English (grammar, vocabulary) and skill development

(writing).  Because of the lack of instruction, they had

problems composing complex sentences and using more formal

vocabulary. Their grammatical problems –or even their

lexical problems—would not be evident in everyday discourse,

because the vocabulary and structure of everyday discourse

are more limited.

BTW, the everyday level is the level acquired through do-it-

yourself foreign language lessons (i.e., up to intermediate-

level proficiency) for anyone who has tried such a

program.   To acquire the formal level of the L2 a person

would have to really hit the books, just the way you did.

The point is that the formal level of discourse has to be

very consciously learned and practiced.  My sense is that

many educators still continue to conflate everyday discourse

and formal discourse, and also incoherence with language

variation.

yvonne