ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Dave Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:43:45 -0500
Martha's _Rhetorical Grammar_ offers a solution here. She points out that a comma places focus on the word in front of it (in speech, "the pause," the slight raise in pitch and accent). In this case it preserves some focus for the end of the main clause, which would receive end forcus if the because clause was moved to the front of the sentence.  I always enjoyed telling my students that the comma between a main clause and a subordinate one following it was optional -- trust your ear -- it's a rhetorical choice.

Dave Sawyer
Dept. of English (Retired)