ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:53:08 -0400
Johanna and Rebecca,

As you point out, Johanna, this is indeed a civil rights issue.  If children come to school poorly nourished or not having been read to at home, their school performance will suffer seriously, and this too is a civil rights issue.  In all of our discussion of grammar teaching, we have quite naturally not paid a lot of attention to social issues like these, but it is precisely these implicit and nearly universal forms of racism that make fair education so rare.  Part of the Indiana Language Arts Standards, that Phil has rightly praised, is a strong emphasis on dialect awareness and valuing the home dialect while teaching Standard English as a public dialect.

For about the last fifteen years, Ball State has required of all its English majors, and now of its ESL licnesure students, a sophomore-level course titled Language and Society.  The purpose of this course is to make students aware of dialects, of language attitudes, prejudices, and myths, and to involve them directly in research on language as it is used around them.  They study in some depth both the Ebonics controversy and national language policy debates and draw their own conclusions on them.

This sort of language awareness must be a part of any language arts program that pretends to be worthy of its name.

Herb