ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:46:00 -0500
Larry,

I would think that an inscription -- particularly on a bell tower -- would strongly encourage conformity to Latin, rather than to web usage; it's as if the minute you take a chisel to stone, you're required to use hyperformal register, and that includes worrying about Latin case suffixes. I've never seen a university using abbreviations on stone, but "shall" appears with worrying frequency. And if you have a Classics department, you will never, *ever* hear the end of the matter if you don't get the Latin right. That entire field is oriented toward the idea of never giving up.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell