ATEG Archives

July 2007

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:58:12 -0400
The other term you may encounter for the "to have X" version is the
"perfect infinitive." I don't think the terms are used much in modern
school grammars, but used to be quite common -- they're part of the
longstanding tradition of pretending that English is really Latin. Using
"past infinitive" and "present infinitive" was particularly confusing to
students who had learned that infinitives are called that because they
don't have tense.

I do bring up those terms in college grammar classes as part of a
discussion of why it's useful to distinguish tense from aspect (and
hence I'd prefer "perfect infinitive" if I had to use a specific label).

-- Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University