ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 22:29:36 -1000

>How comfortable are people with having adjectives broken down into two
>subgroups, Limiting and Descriptive? Limiting adjectives are most easily
>recognized by the fact that they do not go through the
>positive-comparative-superlative changes. They include articles,
>demonstratives, quantifiers, ordinals, and possessive pronouns. Descriptive
>adjectives, on the other hand, do just that—describe—and except for words
>like “perfect” and “unique” can be made comparative and superlative.

It would be much better to report these things than to think that we are in some position to make decisions about their acceptance.  Works like Quirk and Greenbaum, Journal style sheets, dictionaries and so forth will be taken as authorities on this matter and if we act as though we are telling people what exists in grammar rather than reporting what is known and then providing a reasonable approach to the scope and sequence of the teaching, we willl be laughing stocks among those previously cited authorities.  Also, there are experts in this area at many major universities and within government as well.  To act as though there was basic decision making to be done about what EXISTS in grammar is a serious problem.  An accurate and reasonable report followed by an accurate and reasonable approach to the return of grammar to the schools is what is needed.

Phil Bralich