ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:32:06 +1000
Nancy, don't stay awake! I write at this time only because I'm in the other
hemisphere.

I cannot recall Chomsky using the term `hardwired'. `Innate knowledge' is, I
think, his term for it. As a respectable concept it certainly got the
kibosh, at least from the Philosophical Linguistics camp. But then, what the
heck! I like your image too. It's just that my hackles rise when I smell the
possibility that an anti-grammar argument may rise yet again from Chomsky's
`innate knowledge' fizzer. And Bruner is a good chap: he doesn't waste his
time on `innate knowledge'; he is all `acquisition's, and very plausibly.

(No answer, please, until you've slept!)

Sophie