ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:32:58 -0500
At 02:31 PM 9/16/2007, Johanna Rubba wrote:
>IQ is, appropriately, being questioned as a measure of intelligence
>and especially learning or achievement potential.

DD: But the scores on them are very good predictors of future
behavior. If you wish to call a score of 120, is indicating a higher
IQ than a score of 80, Your call. There are pragmatic reasons for the
Military to prefer the ones that score higher to become officers over
the ones that don't score as high. The higher scoring perform better,
as a rule. It isn't fair, but the high IQs score better on most other
things, like health. GPAs, Contemporary judgements of beauty. Taint
fair, but just is.

>IQ tests are
>culturally biased towards the kinds of cognitive tasks that Western
>Europeans take as standards. Some of the content is also culturally
>biased, if the IQ test I took about ten years ago is representative.

DD: The test works well for prediction of future results. There are
no tests that don't have a cultural bias. The question is, "How well
do they predict future behavior?'

>"The Bell Curve" is not only political, it is racist, suggesting that
>African Americans are genetically predisposed to low IQ. . . .

DD: Reread that book and quote the reference where that is stated.

>May I politely suggest to DD Farms that he think twice about using
>such words as "dummies" and "nublie chicks". I don't mean to be the
>thought or language police, but I have no doubt that such terms will
>offend some listers and may lead people to make assumptions (whether
>accurate or false) about DD's disposition towards certain social groups.

DD: The words were chosen my me, knowing they might offend the,
"Politically Correct" readers. But that was the language we used in
those days. So what is the PC words for Nubile Chicks, now a days? Or
those at the lower end of the IQ scale? "Females that score at the
higher end of a male chauvinistic judgement?" "The cognitive challenged?"