ATEG Archives

June 2009

Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 00:49:14 -0400
Larry--

I just heard, "He ain't been on line recently' from a lower middle class
male Caucasian in Orlando.  Those who do not like 'Caucasian', tough!
I am not White--the few I know are albinos.  And don't call me Pink!
Pink is a political term; e.g., "Parlor Pinks and the lunatic fringe."

Coercion is sometimes necessary: write a formal paper in txtspk and you
fail.  Joos' Five clocks should be of every English class that involves
writing.  My graduate linguistics professor requires all work to be based
on peer-reviewed academic journals cite in a specific database, LLBA.
Use Wiki and you walki out the door.

I also agree with Bill's suggestion of replacing "academic" with "careful
and explicit exposition and argumentation that is suited to its purpose
and audience," would result in fewer problems (and better results).

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus
history & languages

I'd do it but I ain't got the time.  Great example!

Date:    Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:06:56 -0600
From:    Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Result gives"; ATEG Digest - 2 Jun 2009 - Special issue
(#2009-135)

--_000_C62F596A20AB834B86375CE75059D1374A644291B0MBX01ldschurc_

Scott, I think, has simply reiterated how logic is normally so loose in lan=
guage.   Perhaps the problem I have with "gives" is that it is one step fur=
ther along in the derivation.  The blending of meanings is ubiquitous in la=
nguage.  My point is simply that it would be more analytic to distinguish t=
he two:

Old-fashioned diagramming gives me the subject and verb immediately.

The result of old-fashioned diagramming's being ingrained in me is that I p=
arse the subject and verb immediately.

The problem with the Harriet and Joanna (you've deleted their names and my =
memory is faulty) sentence was that the concepts were blended and referred =
back to, much like those of my example (and yours).

Bruce

>>> "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]> 6/1/2009 8:30 PM >>>
Peter,

That's exactly what happened with "ain't."  Up into the 16th c. it was the =
standard contraction of "am not," a string for which we now have no =
contraction.  In some dialects of English, "ain't" came to be used with =
all persons, and so 18th c. prescriptive grammarians rejected "ain't" =
completely, in any usage.  The result is that today, English speakers =
don't even consider "ain't" to be a legitimate possibility for "am not."  =
Those who use it use it not only for all persons but also as a contraction =
of "has/have not."  So the answer to your question is yes.  Prescriptive =
rules can bring about linguistic change.

Oddly, the form persisted among the nobility.  Dorothy Sayers, who's very =
careful with her representation of dialect and register, has Lord Peter =
Wimsey using "I ain't" regularly.  The nobility, who didn't bother to read =
the 18th c. self-help literature on how to sound like the nobility, didn't =
give up the contraction.  While it was still current in the early 20th c., =
as the Sayers novels demonstrate, the use of "ain't" for "am not" has now =
disappeared among the nobility as well.

Herb

Date:    Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:47:10 -0400
From:    "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: levels of formality/training wheels, NOW value of HS education

As someone from a social-science background who teaches composition in
an English department, I've noted some similar issues. Years ago, at
another institution, I was teaching composition in a program that
mandated a particular textbook. It was all about literature, and the
essays I was supposed to use as models for argumentative writing were
literary essays (which in this case, meant that the authors were
distinctively, and productively, violating some of the major rules of
essay-writing, such as "have a clear thesis statement"). They *were*
good essays from a number of perspectives, but they weren't good in a
way that the students could emulate at that point in their writing
development, and would not have been publishable as anything other than
literary essays, in a venue devoted expressly to that genre. =20

Similarly (well, it's off-topic, but it IS similar....) course
objectives such as "Students will demonstrate that they value <insert
genre name here>" strike me as at best coercive and at worst deeply
creepy. I have no way of reading their minds, and what they think isn't
necessarily within my area of influence, although what they *do* can be.
I like Twain, but I'd rather have a student who said interesting things
about Twain and carefully analyzed his writing but didn't like it at all
than have a student who obligingly parroted the required opinion of
Twain. I told my science fiction class last semester that despite the
course objective that stated they had to value SF, I was more interested
in whether they could discuss and analyze the arguments for valuing SF
than with whether they agreed with those arguments or not.

In composition teaching, the problem with interpreting "writing" as if
it were equivalent to "writing about literature" isn't really one of
extending the academic into the realm of the practical, though. An
APA-style analysis of survey results is academic, but not literary. It's
more a side-effect of the somewhat haphazard conflation of literature
with composition in English departments, and the tendency for any group
to lose sight of the fact that what they value isn't automatically the
same as what other people do. If we replaced "academic" with "careful
and explicit exposition and argumentation that is suited to its purpose
and audience," we might have fewer problems.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University=20