ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:55:30 -0500
Geoff,

You are right.  Although there are clearly variation in how native speakers use prepositions, whatever those variations are are not stigmatizing.  As a consequence, they are not taught.

On the other hand, non-native speakers don't have that knowledge and prepositions must be taught.

I like the term "innovation" for the non-target-like constructions because it suggests what are students do are principled.  Our obligation as teachers is to try to figure out what our student principles are to provide the data (lesson) so their principles become those of a more mature writer.   If we see their non-target-like structures as "awkward," what do we do as teachers?  Provide them with non-awkward examples?

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri

>>> Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> 06/11/10 10:54 AM >>>

Bob

Would your analysis explain my contention that because a native speaker would never say, "I put the pen the table" or "I put the pen on" (but would say, "I put my clothes on" ), then we really don't have to spend too much time (no time?) teaching prepositions or their direct objects?  Or, similarly, the latest revision (by Colomb and Williams) of Turabian's "Student's Guide to Writing College Papers" defines prepositions as simply, "Easier to list (in, on, up, over, of, at, by, etc."  And regarding your innovative structures (and I love the way you describe them so positively - not as "error" but "innovation"!), are these examples of writers struggling to find ways to use innate grammar to create meaning that they're in the process of discovering? And does this imply that grammar should be taught in a way that helps students create meaning and that "innovative structures" are simply part of that process?

Geoff Layton

PS: I still remember fondly your enthusiastic guided tour of Kansas City - my first ATEG experience!