ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:00:16 -0400
Janet,

I think that your explanation of participle and infinite phrases as
non-finite  clauses is clear, and I know that perhaps the majority of
linguists on our list agree with you.  And, yes, because those verb
phrases are reduced clauses, we can call them clauses.

But I prefer to reserve "clause" for the traditional "subject +
predicate."  First, the work that I do is mainly for students who are
applying their knowledge of sentence grammar to their own writing or
to the teaching of others. It's very practical to be able to define a
sentence and discuss its possibilities and its punctuation on the
basis of  clauses--the subject + predicate kind.  And it's very
useful to discuss all the possibilities for expanding sentences with
various kinds of phrases, both verb phrases and others, and various
dependent clauses.

I also have to dissent somewhat from the notion that "Running" in
your example doesn't make the grade as a clause because it has no
other "clause elements."  But doesn't the fact that "run" is
intransitive and doesn't need any other  elements to be a grammatical
sentence make a difference? The children are running.  If your
example had been "Running regularly is good for you" or "Running
fast. . .", would that make a difference? And in your example "To
know him is to love him," isn't "to know him" also a non-finite
clause?  So you would analyze that as three clauses, right?

For purposes of pedagogy--the kind of teaching that I think should be
going on in language arts classes of middle school and high school--I
think structural grammar is the logical choice.

Martha