ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:55:09 -0400
Ben,
   To me, the absolutely most important "Myth rules" to debunk are "A
sentence is a complete thought" and "A writer should avoid repetition."
Taken together, they do enormous harm.
   If you haven't already, check out Ed Schuster's "Breaking the rules:
liberating writers through innovative grammar instruction." One very
helpful section is on "definitions that do not define", and he extends
the mythrules out to rhetorical applications, like paragraphing. Also
check out the Language Mavens chapter in Pinker's The Language
Instinct.
   Two important points to make by way of corrolary: pay attention to what
good writers do; correctness is a fairly empty virtue, so it should
never come at the expense of the fuller virtues,like meaning,
engagement, coherence, clarity.
   One of the easisest ways to help people is to free them from
misunderstanding. It would be good to have a comprehensive list.

Craig

The following are fifteen so-called grammar and punctuation