ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 03:51:10 -0700
Robert,

I have written a short essay on this subject, which my comments summarize.
These concepts are based on a study of George Lakoff & Mark Johnson,
Metaphors We Live By (University of Chicago, 1980)[example of "argument is
war"]; John B. Carroll, Language Thought & Reality (MIT, 1956), especially
Benjamin Lee Whorf, Science and Linguistics (cf. p. 207f., 1940)[example of
"I clean it with a ramrod" in Shawnee]; Peter Atkins, Galileo's Finger: The
Ten Great Ideas of Science (Oxford Univ. Press, 2003) [example of "heat" as
"caloric"] and a few other works upon which they are based.  The essay is on
my website as support for my present cautious approach to semantics:
http://userpages.burgoyne.com/bdespain/grammar/gramexg.htm

Bruce