ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:28:21 -0400
Bill brings up an interesting point. I have some reservations about the
whole national mind-set regarding education:

1. I distrust test scores immensely. I don't know that the low test scores
you mention really indicate that students aren't learning math.
2. Almost anything taught in isolation has the potential of becoming boring
(shen I teach theatre, it's always in a larger context -- that's the
advantage of teaching the arts, I suppose; they don't exist in isolation).
3. People can't count change for a number of reasons that don't have as much
to do with math as to do with the way we go about our daily lives. We have
come to expect many things to be done for us, including having the change
counted.

I guess I'm moving into a political arena that is beyond the scope of ATEG.
I certainly have some issues about education, but I can't see them as
separated from a larger social-economical-political sphere. AS far as mere
grammar is concerned, I'd really like to see if there ARE ways to teach it
as a discrete skill, just as one would teach music theory, calculus, AP
Chemestry, etc., ... not for the sake of better writing or reading, but for
the sake of understanding language (and therefore, the human mind).

Paul
Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School
Winsted, CT

"The proper study of mankind is Man" -- Alexander Pope