ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:01:00 -0500
Scott,
    Simply put, I don't believe that extensive correct usage does not indicate cognitive mastery of nominative absolutes. But look at the list of things you have read. Along the way, you certainly met (and mastered) more subordinate clauses than noun absolutes. I don't know where you are teaching, but most students do not do anywhere near that amount of reading. Indeed even many college students have a very poor cognitive mastery of clauses--that is reflected, in part, in the fragments, comma-splices, etc. that appear in their papers. If you can get all the students in this country to read the amount (and quality) that you have, we could probably do away with grammar instruction altogether, and then I could go back to reading my beloved Dostoevsky.

Given the world in which we live, however, I would argue that trying to teach noun absolutes to students who do not yet have control of clauses will only cause the students more problems.

Ed