ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:16:46 +0000
Ed,

I know what you mean about teachers hunting down fragments. A colleague
critiqued essays by students in my expository writing class once. She was
very critical of one essay by my best writer because of the following
sentence.
"That is if your house isn't blown away by the hurricane."

She totally missed many good qualities of the essay and instead focused on
this sentence as an example of the low level of the student's writing
ability. This student wrote such good essays from the very beginning of my
class that I used her papers in later classes as examples. I think the above
example was the only fragment she ever used, and it's easy to see why she
thought it was a complete sentence. It's also an example of an acceptable
fragment in context.

It was very weird.

--

Christine Reintjes Martin