ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
David Kehe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:26:49 -0800
Recently, I've heard a number of college English composition instructors say, "Research shows that teaching students grammar does not improve their writing."

Do any of you know if this is commonly accepted "research" in English departments?

Do any of you know if there is  research that shows the opposite, i.e., that explicit grammar instruction can help students improve their writing skills?

I would greatly appreciate any insights that you might have.

Dave Kehe