ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:35:33 -0500
At 04:12 PM 7/30/2006, Elizabeth  Ward wrote: . . .
>Of course the basic S&S wouldn't have to be just boring rules and
>exercises. There are so many wonderful and exciting things about language
>that most kids are totally unaware of. . . .Fun stuff like that.
>Dear ATEG, please stop arguing and start teaching.

DD: Since I am a retired Latin teacher, I hesitate to intervene in
the teachers of English domain. However you are so right, here. There
are a whole set of books called such things as "Latin Is Fun,"
"German Is Fun." and so on. Well so is English. My fifth grade Latin
I's had no problem with simple grammar, "Parts of Speech et al." I
told them they weren't supposed to learn it and don't tell on me, and
off we went. *
Magister: Partes orationis quot sunt?
Studens (Discipuli): Octo.
Magister: Quae?
Studens: Nomen, pronomen, verbum, adiectivum, adverbium, coniunctio,
praepositio, interiectio.
and so forth.

* The full script is in John Traupman's, "Conversational Latin for
Oral Proficiency."

Student like learning the responses, if they aren't shoved down their
throats, and if you keep it simple. Particularly when they find out
they are learning stuff they are not supposed to at their level. They
will do the script for parental unit night. Make it fun, and
challenging, not boring. Quick hit and move on, the attention span is
not at adult level yet.